Here we have five delicious recipes for you to try out when looking to eat healthier at evenings during a weight loss regime or fitness scheme.
Number 1 - Crispy Pork Medallions
Healthy Crispy Pork Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 8 medallions
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
How to Prepare Crispy Pork Medallions
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Rub mustard evenly over pork medallions. Combine panko, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Dredge pork in panko mixture. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pork; sauté 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn pork. Place skillet in oven; bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until pork reaches 145°. Let stand 3 minutes.
Number 2 - Tilapia & Summer Vegetable Packets
Tilapia & Summer Vegetable Ingredients
- 1 cup quartered cherry, or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup diced summer squash
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 12 green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 4 equal portions
How to make Tilapia & Summer Vegetable Packets
- Preheat grill to medium. (No grill? See Oven Variation, below.)
- Combine tomatoes, squash, onion, green beans, olives, lemon juice, oregano, oil, capers, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- To make a packet, lay two 20-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the contents from burning); generously coat the top piece with cooking spray. Place one portion of tilapia in the center of the foil. Sprinkle with some of the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, then top with about 3/4 cup of the vegetable mixture.
- Bring the short ends of the foil together, leaving enough room in the packet for steam to gather and cook the food. Fold the foil over and pinch to seal. Pinch seams together along the sides. Make sure all the seams are tightly sealed to keep steam from escaping. Repeat with more foil, cooking spray and the remaining fish, salt, pepper and vegetables.
- Grill the packets until the fish is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. To serve, carefully open both ends of the packets and allow the steam to escape. Use a spatula to slide the contents onto plates. Oven Variation: Preheat oven to 425°F. Place green beans in a microwavable bowl with 1 tablespoon water. Cover and microwave on High until the beans are just beginning to cook, about 30 seconds. Drain and add to the other vegetables (Step 2). Assemble packets (Steps 3-4). Bake the packets directly on an oven rack until the tilapia is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes.
Number 3 - Prosciutto Pizza with Tangy White Sauce
Prosciutto Pizza with Tangy White Sauce Ingredients
- 2/3 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 7.75 ounces bread flour, divided (about 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
How to make Prosciutto Pizza with Tangy White Sauce
- Combine 2/3 cup warm water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, and let stand 5 minutes or until bubbles form. Weigh or lightly spoon 6.75 ounces bread flour (about 1 1/2 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sprinkle 6.75 ounces bread flour over yeast mixture. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt. Mix at low speed for 2 minutes or until dough forms a ball. Increase speed to medium, and mix 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a medium bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down.
- Cover surface of dough with plastic wrap lightly coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove the dough from refrigerator. Let stand, covered, for 2 hours or until dough comes to room temperature. Punch dough down. Place a piece of parchment paper on a flat work surface, and sprinkle parchment with remaining 2 tablespoons bread flour. Roll dough out to a 13-inch circle. Slide the parchment and dough onto a pizza peel or flat baking sheet. Brush the dough evenly with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Cover dough lightly with plastic wrap.
- Position an oven rack in the lowest setting, and place a pizza stone on rack. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Combine milk and next 3 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook for 3 minutes or just until butter and garlic begin to brown, stirring frequently. Add 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour to pan, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in milk mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Spread sauce in an even layer over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border; sprinkle sauce evenly with cheese. Slide parchment and pizza onto preheated pizza stone. Bake at 500° for 18 minutes or until crust is golden. Arrange prosciutto on pizza, and sprinkle with chives. Cut pizza into 12 wedges.
Number 4 - Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust
Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust Ingredients
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons strong freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1-pound beef sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
How to prepare Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust
- Prepare grill.
- Smash and peel 1 of the garlic cloves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in brewed coffee and vinegar. Season with ground pepper and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together and set aside.
- Cut the remaining clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side over both sides of the steak. Rub oil over the surface and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat.
- Salt the steak and grill until it reaches desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Fan the meat on plates and drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Number 5 - Baked Fish Asian Style Recipe
Baked Fish Asian Style Recipe Ingredients
- 2 firm thick white fish fillets (we used barramundi)
- 1 large pkt fresh spinach (500g)
- A Sliver of butter
- ¼ cup water
- ½ pkt rice noodles
- 1 tsp. ginger / garlic / fish sauce / brown sugar / sesame oil
- 2 tsp. mirin
- ½ tsp. chilli paste
How to make Baked Fish Asian Style
- Preheat oven 180C (350F)
- Line a baking tray or dish with baking paper. Place fish fillets on the paper.
- Mix marinade ingredients in a small bowl. With a pastry brush coat half the top of the fish with the sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place in oven and cook for 15 mins then take out of oven and drizzle or baste the remaining sauce over the fish and cook a further 10 mins. Check, the thickness of the fish will determine cooking time.
- Meanwhile boil kettle and soak the noodles in a bowl with the boiling water and drain.
- Next heat a large non-stick frypan and place the spinach in the pan, with the water and garlic, stir and this will wilt down to nearly nothing. Season with salt and pepper and the last minute add a sliver of butter, turn off heat.
- Plate your noodles on each plate, then divide spinach on top of noodles then the fish.
- Serve immediately.